Imagine that you are in the scenario like; you seated on the bean bag with the game controllers in your hand and playing the death match.
You are one of the team members of CoD where you have to kill the rivals. The game is tied up as you have same kill count as the opponent team.
The situation is very hectic as you have only a few kills to win and few deaths to lose. Now you all set to clench the free headshot on your rival. Then all of a sudden your internet speed went down and made all your well-conceived plans in the dust bin.
Completely pissed off, right?
Did you often face this problem?
If you are using the old router, then you usually right into this huge lag spike.
Well, we have come up with the best gaming routers list which ensures your online gaming never interrupted. The best working wifi routers for gaming estimates the network traffic for the games. The Quality of Service (QoS) helps to give you the uninterrupted gaming sessions even when your roommates download games or watching Netflix.
Here is Top 10 Wireless Routers for Gaming
In this guide, we have furnished the best gaming routers available in the market, which puts an end to your connection issues. Usually, the wired connections noted as the best way to play online games, and we totally agree with that. However, one thing you have to make sure is that the router you’re using is a good router.
The routers should not only have the brim of Gigabit LAN ports (Ethernet) but also feature all the latest WiFi standards. Taking into the consideration of all the needs of gamers, we have listed the best gaming routers here on this page.
It’s 2020!!! The technology is updating day-by-day. We can’t waste time on loading the games.
What are Gaming Routers?
Gamers always look for the best hardware to get the best playing performance. Going with the trend, many router manufacturers targeted gamers with specialized hardware for gaming. Nowadays, most of the router manufacturers offer gaming routers which specially designed for online gaming.
Did you get a doubt about what separates the gaming routers from regular routers?
Well, the answer is here. The main difference between these two routers is Quality of Service. This service mainly focuses on sending your data where it needs. The regular router doesn’t care about data traffic.
For example, if you are living in a busy household with many people. You playing the online game and your friend came to your house and using BitTorrent at full speed, some are downloading and uploading files from Dropbox, and some are watching Netflix. All these things are done using the same router.
Here your internet speed struggles to meet all those demands, and your online gaming experience becomes laggy with loading and loading. It’s really an irritating situation, and you give up playing the game at last. The gaming router QoS segregate the incoming data and prioritizes the incoming traffic for online gaming.
The newer technologies such as MU-MIMO (Multiple-In, Multiple-Out) routers offer parallel data streaming instead of sequential. That means the MU-MIMO routers act as one machine gun for each of the device which gives simultaneous data.
Features of gaming routers
Most of the gaming routers come with full-packed useful Quality of Service and Quality of Life features. Without late, let’s take a glance at some of the gaming router features furnished below.
- Did you ever check how many Gigabit Ethernet ports do yours have? For ultra-fast internet connection, you need to have 10 Gigabit Ethernet port. Moreover, the number also depends on modern wired devices you have.
- Always remember when you are selecting the router is that check it has Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- You will get the best gaming experience and web activity when you opt for router over Ethernet.
- Some of the simple routers such as Google WiFi gives priority to gaming even they can’t do it on their own. If you plan to buy the router or already have router doesn’t have QoS support, ensure that you can set up the device priority option manually.
- If you are very much interested in gaming and essential to you, make sure to get the best new router at the initial stage only.
- Nowadays most of the modern routers have multiple band support. Dual-band routers have 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands where you will get an additional 5GHz Band for Tri-band routers.
- If you are looking router for gaming purpose, then 5GHz band router is the best to bang on.
How Will Wireless Routers for Gaming Useful?
Do you find your online gaming experience is frustrating with lots of lags, buffering, and much more?
Are you having limited access range to international gaming options?
We totally understand your irritation and how aggravating this is. You can get the best and secure gaming experience, but where the issues rise is with your router. There are many routers which are best for gaming consoles like PS4 and Xbox. As the same, there are best routers for online gaming also, and those are the best solution for your problem.
Here are some of the reasons why you need the best router for online gaming
- Assume, you are competing with other people in online gaming, and at the same time, you have to leave your network wide open for some work. It is the best invasion for the online forces to attack.
- Hackers always look for this type of opportunities. They acquire command over your network and hack all your essential info. To avoid these types of hacking problems, you need to have a router with advanced security options such VPN which keeps your network safe.
- The VPN service providers give you access to geo-restricted online gaming options. They protect your network by digging and saving all your online activities with encrypted services.
- The built-in feature of Killer Prioritization Engine technology is useful for gamers. This smartest technology can prioritize traffic on a router. That means you can play games smoothly even in low bandwidth.
What are the things you need look for before purchasing gaming routers?
A game lover doesn’t have any particular option to play the game on Laptop or in mobile. Whether it is a console, mobile device, or PC you playing on, the main thing you need is the Internet. Without a stable internet connection, you can’t play an online game with your friends.
However, the internet is not only enough for you to play online games. When you face lots of lag spikes, buffering, net disconnects, packet loss and much more, you straight glares at your router and be worst on your service provider. If you’re facing this problem, then it’s time to change the service provider, plans, and even router as well.
To help you in this, we have furnished the list of features and specs which you have to ensure while selecting the router and get interruption-free gaming experience.
When you plan to buy the router for gaming first make sure about your house that means how much big it is and how many rooms and obstructions it has? Moreover, how many devices you want to connect with the router?
Here the range of the router is significant to measure and crucial when you want to broadcast it all over your house. In that case, select the extended frequency WiFi router with frequencies such as 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
- The 2.4GHz is the long-range frequency band where it reaches all the broader areas and compatible with old WiFi devices also. However, the only disadvantage is that it becomes slow and weak in congested situations.
- The 5GHz is faster and good at handling congested traffic. It is compatible with all modern devices, and the disadvantage is, it works excellent with short-range areas.
- If you want the best gaming experience and ready to afford, then go with a dual-band router. It gives you both 2.5GHz and 5GHz band frequency and perfect for gaming.
RAM and Processor
- Like PC’s and mobile devices, the routers also have both Processor and RAM. If you want a gaming router, then choose the router which has hardware for the best gaming experience.
- To get smoother performance, select dual-core, quad-core or processor with 1.2GHz frequency and RAM of 256MB.
- If you have a good processor, then you will get the best data handling and processing power, which means if you are using multiple devices connected to the same router, the processor distributes the data simultaneously.
Few more things to consider while choosing a gaming router
- Always remember that, don’t buy the router by just seeing its fancy features because it won’t have any benefits for daily use.
- Check your gaming router has USB slots. It would be great if you want to share any information in and over the network. You can easily access the files even you turn off your PC. Choose the USB 3.0 version for a fast experience.
- MU-MIMO is the best feature which works best on multiple networks. It transmits the data efficiently even when all the connected devices are streaming.
- Software features, security, and parental controls.
- Quality of Service.
Types of Gaming Routers
A single-band router is just a one frequency band router with 2.4GHz frequency band, easily accessible at a low price. It is limited, older, and operates on the 802.11g standard.
The single-band router also operators on the 802.11n standard which is also known as Wireless-N. The Wireless-N router also comes with 2.4GHz frequency band but offers 800 Mbps theoretical speed.
Pros of Single-band router
- Affordable and easy to access.
- Compatible with all devices where multi-band devices support 2.4GHz connections.
- It comes with a lower frequency, which quickly penetrates through doors, walls, furniture, and much more.
Cons of Single-band Router
- It has a lower speed when compared to other multi-band routers.
- Users experience a lot of signal interference and reduce WiFi speed and internet stability.
- This router doesn’t include any modern features such as device prioritization and app-based monitoring.
The dual-band routers come with the support of 5GHz frequency band which operates on newer 802.11n standard. It supports the speed up to 2,167 Mbps and above. For household connections, this dual-band router is a perfect choice. With 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency bands, you will experience speed laggy traffic jams.
However, with a 5GHz band, you can experience faster, stable internet connectivity to all the devices. It is well suited for the big apartment building and well-populated cities. It provides a constant connection to all the smart devices, so even when you are streaming Netflix, and your friend is playing online game, the WiFi connection runs stable and smoothly.
Pros of Dual-band Router
- These are smart and middle ground routers which come with entry-level prices.
- It comes with more modern hardware which provides more stability and range when compared to the single-band router.
- It is compatible with 5GHz devices such as PS4, Xbox, PS4 Pro, Google Pixel, iPhone 7, and much more.
- The bandwidth of dual-band routers is twice than the single-band routers.
Cons of Dual-band Routers
- The internet speed mostly depends on the number of devices connected to the WiFi at once.
- It has a shorter range of bandwidth in the environments with obstacles such as doors, walls, furniture.
The tri-band routers come with a capability of multiple Gigabit speed of 4,000 Gbps and 5 GHz band frequency. It contains one 2.4 GHz band and two 5 GHz band. These tri-band routers are perfect for 5 GHz connected devices and even affordable.
Pros of Tri-band Router
- You can connect more devices which will not affect the WiFi wireless speed.
- It comes with three separate bands and provides three times more bandwidth.
- You can connect each device at once.
- Less interference.
- With its high CPU speed, you can transfer files faster and handle multiple devices smoothly.
Cons of Tri-band Router
- Higher cost compared to dual-band routers.
- If you do not have many 5GHz connected devices, then it is not useful.
Best Reasons to Buy Wireless (WiFi) Gaming Routers
We can see many online games available on the market. The online games such as PUBG, DOTA 2, Battle Royale, Overwatch entirely relies on your internet speed. If you are using high-speed internet and best gaming router then it is a like feast to you or else, it will be a flop show.
Gaming routers always deliver best and super high performance where they loaded with more RAM and processor power. In short, it is similar to your PC in terms of the technical side. These routers also use CPU, motherboard, RAM, and operating system. They can do multi-task functions and even hold more tasks at once without any hurdles.
Did you know that the router which is provided by the service providers and is at low cost doesn’t have the support of the in-built firewall? Yeah, it’s true!!! If you do not have a firewall, it is a significant concern you need to consider. Without a firewall or malware, the information which you stored becomes vulnerable.
If you want better security, then the gaming router is the best saviour for you. Most of the gaming routers come with in-built firewall support and saves you from the risk of hacking your information over the network.
Best tips to make your gaming router work perfectly and more effectively
- Distance is the most crucial point to consider while setting up the gaming router. The more distance you are away from the router, the worse connection you get.
- Always check the line-of-sight between the connected devices and router.
- Remember that devices such as refrigerators, landline phones, microwaves can diminish the signal strength.
- The interior walls also disturb the WiFi signal.
- Your Internet Service Providers (ISPs) gives you the default router when you set up the router for the first time. Most of the people stick to that router only. However, those routers come with low-quality.
- If you don’t want to afford money on a new router, then one alternative solution is there. Just replace the antenna of the existing router.
- Point the router antenna towards the connected devices. Please don’t point it straight. In case, if you have multiple antennas, then point all of them in the same direction.
- If your gaming router doesn’t have any antenna attached to it or not getting a stable signal even after internal antenna changed, then what is the solution for that? Don’t worry. We are here to provide the best solution for you. Consider buying the USB antenna for the PC. It works as an in-built antenna.
- Another alternative for not having an antenna is a wireless range extender. These extenders are cost-effective and compatible with all modern routers or modems. They work very well by providing a signal that can penetrate through walls or any other physical structures which are between the router and connected devices.
- The router firmware is the underlying software that allows the devices to operate effectively. In these days, most of the modern come with a firmware update. You can update the firmware from the admin portal itself.
Hope you guys got enough information about Gaming routers. If you are a game lover and want to details about gaming router, then refer above furnished guide. Choose the best gaming router, which doesn’t irritate your gaming sessions.
Remember that every gaming router comes with the different ways to set up the hardware. Make sure to read the user manual at first. Try to get the best router rather than opting with the ISP provided routers.
Are you still having queries? Don’t hesitate to drop your questions in the comment section below. We will get back to you soon with the right solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many computers or smart devices can connect at the same time?
You can connect multiple devices at once quickly, and gaming routers segregates the data traffic simultaneously.
What is a gaming router?
A gaming router provides great traffic shaping support, which gives you real-time control against the bandwidth and offers you lag less gaming experience.
How long does a wireless router last?
Well, they don’t have an expiry date. Heat and power surges are the primary suspects for the router damage. It entirely depends on your usage and the router brand. If there is any damage in the router semiconductor chips, wires, cables, power supplies, circuits and much more then only the router will get damaged.
What is the best router for gaming?
Here are the lists of best gaming routers.
- TP-Link Archer C5400 v2
- Asus RT-AC86U
- TP-Link Archer C5400X
- Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500
- Asus RT-AC5300
- Zyxel Armor Z2 AC2600
- Asus RT-AC88U
- D-link DIR-88L/R